As an independent union, we represent approximately 900 administrative and technical staff at Western University. We have members in every Faculty and Service unit including downtown continuing education, research facilities off campus and teaching hospitals in and around London, ON. Our members fulfill clerical and administrative roles; work as technicians in teaching and research laboratories, libraries, computing facilities, and machine shop; staff residences and retail services; and work as drivers and storekeepers. Western is dependent on UWOSA members and could not adequately operate without us.
Most unions on campus are called a “local union”. This means that they are local to this geographical area, but belong to a larger union, usually a provincial or federal union. CUPE and UWOFA are good examples. Our union is an independent union, which means that we are not part of a larger union. We do work with our brother and sister unions on campus as well as have cooperative relationships with unions that represent staff at other Ontario Universities. Some of these unions are independent like UWOSA, but most are affiliates of very large unions.
Benefits of Union Dues?
- Confidential professional advice from three officers (President, Vice-President, and Chief Steward) who do extensive work on your behalf to uphold your individual and collective rights under the collective agreement.
- Confidential professional advice if you are seeking support or have a workplace concern (which may or may not involve the grievance process).
- Fair representation at (disciplinary meetings, return to work meetings, position elimination) meetings.
- Legal representation at grievance hearings and arbitration.
- Committee members (volunteers from our union) who work to govern our union like the Finance Committee, Membership/Newsletter & Social Committee, or Constitution & Bylaws Committee.
- Stewards Training.
- Strike fund.
- Our Union dues were set at certification in 1997 at 1.25% and after 20 years has moved to 1.7% as of May 2017.